Cara Delevingne has quickly become one of the darlings of the international model circuit, featuring in campaigns for Burberry and Chanel and often spotted out with celebrity pals Rihanna and Miley Cyrus. The 21-year-old model has been on our radars for only a few years and yet she’s fast becoming a superstar in her own right.
Here are 10 things you might not know about the young British model and aspiring actress:
1. Cara comes from a high society family. Her grandmother was lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret and her grandfather is the former chairman of English Heritage.
2. Cara’s career began with her modelling for Cadbury’s chocolate as a tiny tot. She quickly moved up the ranks, appearing in Vogue Italia at the age of 10 and was “discovered” by Sarah Doukas from Storm Models, who also discovered Kate Moss.
3. She’s been linked romantically with Fast and the Furious star, Michelle Rodriguez, with intrusive paparazzi shots of the couple drawing angry Twitter responses from Cara.
4. Cara’s name is a registered trademark. She registered “Cara Delevingne” with the Intellectual Property Office in the UK in 2013. The trademark prevents anyone else from producing items such as clothing, accessories and perfume under her name. She’s also registered a company name, “Cara & Co” for future use.
5. Cara’s godmother is famous actress, Joan Collins, and her godfather is Nicholas Coleridge, president of Condé Nast International. Coleridge has six other godchildren and has written a novel titled “Godchildren”, dedicated to them.
6. Cara is active on social media and often posts photographs on a public Instagram account offering behind-the-scenes peeks at modelling shows and social events with other celebrities.
7. She has several tattoos and continues to get more, despite warnings from her agency that it could mean a premature end to her modelling career. Her current tattoos include: A lion on her index finger; “CJD” initials on the outside of her hand; the word “Silence” on her wrist; the name of her mother, “Pandora” on her arm; the number 12 in Roman numerals below her breast; “MADE IN ENGLAND” on the bottom of her foot; “don’t worry, be happy” on her chest; the Southern Cross constellation, made of stars around her ear; a diamond inside her ear; and a small heart on the finger of her left hand. Cara has even designed her own line of Mulberry bags inspired by her tattoos.
8. She’s a gamer and plays Call of Duty on her Xbox with the username Caradele. She has reached the “Prestige” level in the game and told Grazia magazine that she prepared for her Victoria’s Secret catwalk show with a gaming marathon while eating pizza and chicken strips.
9. Cara is a self-confessed tomboy and said the first time she was a bridesmaid she refused to walk down the aisle unless she could wear football shorts under her dress.
10. She sings and plays the drums and has been writing music since the age of 13. She featured in a single, Sonnentanz, singing a duet with musician, Will Heard.