The Academy Awards Ceremony 2013 (The Oscars to you and me) will be held on Sunday 24th February, and we are certain to see some fabulous dresses on the red carpet. In anticipation of this year’s Oscar Awards, we have rounded up ten of the best Oscars dresses seen on the event’s red carpet over the years.
1. Audrey Hepburn in Givenchy: In 1954 the style icon attended the event wearing a lace Givenchy dress. The dress nipped in at the waist with a complimentary belt, showing off the actress’ petite frame.
2. Anne Hathaway in Marchesa: In 2008, the actress took to the red carpet in this floor-length crimson gown with intricately made flowers leading from her shoulder to the waist. The dress complimented the star’s porcelain skin tone perfectly – and she kept her accessories minimal to keep the focus on the Marchesa gown.
3. Kate Hudson in Versace: At the 2003 awards ceremony the blonde actress took to the red carpet in a gold beaded lace floor-length Versace gown. With a fishtail, and minimal diamond jewellery, this look could easily be executed again, being so classic and timeless.
4. Keira Knightley in Vera Wang: The British star was seen wearing Vera Wang at the 2006 Oscar Awards. The deep purple, ruffled floor-length dress worked perfectly with the star’s pale complexion, and has been accessorised well with a statement necklace and ring. The figure-hugging frock is contrasted by a large fishtail at the skirt.
5. Helen Mirren in Georges Chakra: In 2008, the British actress wore a beautiful red satin floor-length gown to the awards ceremony. The dress features crystal-embellished sleeves, and shows off Mirren’s. Top marks Helen!
6. Julia Roberts in Vintage Valentino: In 2001, the American actress wore Vintage Valentino to the awards ceremony. The monochrome floor-length dress complimented her classic style and slim figure and is a timeless piece that could be worn again now with no questions asked!
7. Marilyn Monroe: The blonde bombshell wore this statement black floor-length frock to the Oscar Awards in 1951. The starlet showed off her best assets with the low-cut neckline, but stayed warm with a cream fur shawl.
8. Hilary Swank in Guy Laroche: At the 2005 awards, the American star took to the red carpet in a floor-length navy dress. The Guy Laroche design balanced the plunging backless cut with a high neckline and long sleeves. We love her flawless updo, too.
9. Vera Farmiga in Marchesa: Not to everyone’s taste in 2010, but this fuchsia frock is certainly a statement design. With minimal accessories, the focus is on the pleated satin ruffles, with the colour complimenting the star’s porcelain complexion perfectly.
10. Sandra Bullock in Marchesa: A favourite with the stars, Marchesa made another appearance on the red carpet at the 2010 awards, worn by nominee Sandra Bullock. We love the way she offset the embellished design with a pop of pink lipstick.