Andy Samuels is a 20 year old dancer originally from Wolverhampton who now lives in London. He’s the CEO and founder of MyBoxClothing, a London-based clothing brand designed to be ‘original, simplistic and quirky’. His other claim to fame is being best mates with none other than One Direction’s Liam Payne. We caught up with Andy for the latest in our London Fashion Lowdown series.
1. When did fashion/a sense of personal style first become important to you?
I think throughout my life, even from quite a young age, how I looked and how I represented myself has always been important. My style has changed a lot over the years, but it has always been important to me.
2. Who is your style icon (living or dead)?
I have many style icons as my style changes daily. Sometimes I go for a casual look, some times a rock-star look, sometimes clean-cut or sporty, literally anything, it just depends on the day/occasion. I think to pick one person who I idolise would be difficult. Russell Brand dresses sick and also Trey Songz has a cool style.
3. How would you describe London style?
London has so many styles but at the moment you see a lot of preppy-look people. That clean-cut short trousers, blazers, combed-hair look. You also see a lot of swag with the bright colours high-tops/vans, tattoos, skater kind of style. I’d say at the moment those two looks are the leading styles in London at the moment.
4. If you could live anywhere else in the world where would it be (and why)?
I would live in LA because when I went there the atmosphere was incredible, the people are so cool and friendly, the weather is amazing, the whole life-style just appealed to me.
5. Limited to just a suitcase, which items from your wardrobe would you have to take with you?
I’m a big fan of All Saints jeans, they fit so well, so I’d have to take a pair of those, definitely some hi-tops and my Converse – can’t go wrong with them. At the moment I have really been into plain scoop-neck T-shirts, they’re simple but look really cool and stylish and go with anything, so I’d throw a couple of those in there. I’ve also got to have a beanie for those lazy days when my hair is a mess. I’d have to thrown in my accessories box too because I’ma big fan of jewellery and belts. I’d have to have some basketball shorts and a baggy vest too.
6. What are your most used grooming/beauty products?
It’s going to have to be hair spray. I have big hair so it needs to be kept in place.
7. When and where did you look your best?
Not long ago, it was my best friend’s birthday and I don’t know about looking my best, but I remember feeling good about how I looked and how I carried myself positively, so probably then. Until I got sprayed with champagne later that night, I didn’t look great then.
8. Which is your favourite season of the year (and why)?
I like summer, not only for the fact that everyone is happy but also the bright colours, the T-shirts can come out and the vests and shorts, but I do think my favourite season is winter. I love coats, jackets, hats, and I love the layered look.
9. Who in your own family most influenced your sense of style?
I don’t think I have a fashion influence from my family to be honest. They don’t always like what I wear or how I have my hair.
10. If life was a movie, which film would you most like to live in?
I can’t think of a particular movie, but I think it would have to be an American high school film, who wouldn’t like to be in a high school with all the cheerleaders and just general fun vibe of those films?
11. Which grooming or fashion mistakes most irk you in others?
I don’t like when beautiful girls ruin themselves with make-up, you see it so much and its just such a shame.
12. Cat or dog? Dog
13. What lesson would you pass on to younger people following in your shoes?
Be prepared to work hard and make mistakes. I think with my company and brand I have learnt so much more from my mistakes than I have from looking in books or listening to anyone.
14. What motivates you in your career?
The fact that this is all my brand and my responsibility is so motivating. The harder I work the better my company does and to have a successful business and clothing brand is so satisfying. Also how happy people have been with my products is very satisfying.
15. If you could trade looks with anyone who would that person be?
Probably Zac Efron because he now has that clean-cut look, like he could just wake up and be ready to go.
16. What category of clothing are you most drawn to/are most likely to overspend on?
I don’t think I can choose one because I have over spent on all categories before, I have expensive taste.
17. Which is your most treasured sense?
18. Name three elements of a perfect holiday?
Sun, friends, experiences
19. If you could change a single aspect of your appearance what would it be?
I would probably make myself have more naturally tanned skin, because everyone looks healthier with a tan, but I’m just not a fan of unnatural tanning.
20. Your ideal lunch venue and guest?
On a penthouse balcony looking over London on a warm night with Kelly Brook.