With the BBC’s new programme The Great British Sewing Bee airing last week, it seems sewing is having a bit of a renaissance. Doing the same that The Great British Bake Off did for baking, the show has got us dusting off our sewing machines and reaching for the needle and thread. And with the recession dragging on, there doesn’t seem a better time for us to adopt that ‘make do and mend’ attitude of the past. So for those of you wanting in on this sartorial craze, we’ve put together a list of the Top 10 Best Haberdashery Shops in London:
1. MacCulloch and Wallis, 25-26 Dering Street, W1S 1AT, macculloch-wallis.co.uk
Found just off Oxford Street, MacCulloch and Wallis is one of London’s most famed haberdasheries. Stocking an exhaustive selection of sewing supplies, it’s guaranteed to have whatever you’re after, from essentials like thimbles and thread, to the most specialist tools.
2. Beyond Fabrics, 67 Columbia Road, E2 7RG, beyond-fabrics.co.uk
Home to limited edition and vintage-inspired fabrics, this Shoreditch shop has bags of character. Visit for unique, quirky materials and patchwork and quilting supplies.
3. V V Rouleaux, 102 Marylebone Lane, London W1U 2QD, vvrouleaux.com
The Hermes of the haberdashery world, V V Rouleaux sells only the most luxurious textiles, from timeless velvet ribbon, to Japanese organdies and French wire-edged taffeta.
4. Cloth House, 47 & 98 Berwick Street, London W1F 8SJ, 020 7437 5155, clothhouse.com
With two shops on Soho’s Berwick St, Cloth House is home to a covetable selection of fabrics from around the world. Visit to find the largest variety of jerseys and felt in the UK, alongside quality woollens, cottons and linens.
5. Kleins, 5 Noel Street, W1F 8GD, kleins.co.uk
Dating back to 1936, this little store is a treasure trove of stylish sewing accessories. Fashion lovers should seek out the store’s Chenille letter patches, ideal for channelling this season’s varsity trend.
6. The London Bead Co, 339 Kentish Town Rd, NW5 2TJ, londonbeadco.co.uk
A stone’s throw from Kentish Town tube station, The London Bead Co has one of the best selections of beads you’ll find, and is one of the UK’s primary suppliers of Swarovski Crystal beading.
7. The Button Queen, 76 Marylebone Lane, London, W1U 2PR, thebuttonqueen.co.uk
Established by an antique dealer in the 1950s, The Button Queen remains family-run to this day and specialises in antique and modern buttons of all colours, shapes and sizes
8. William Gee, 520-522 Kingsland Road, E8 4AR, williamgee.co.uk
Found in the heart of hipster-haunt Dalston, William Gee is a supplier to some of London’s top fashion designers and costume departments. Perhaps a little advanced for the hobbyist, it’s the place to go if you start to need more professional tools and tailoring gear.
9. London Trimmings, 26-28 Cambridge Heath Road, Whitechapel, E1 5QH
A wholesaler to established fashion brands, Whitechapel’s London Trimmings store is also open to the public, selling a great selection of trend-led braids, buttons, buckles and zips.
10. Ray Stitch, 99 Essex Road, N1 2SJ, raystitch.co.uk
Ray Stitch is the brainchild of Rachel Hart, an avid ‘maker’ of all things, who’s committed to offering a conscious approach to clothing manufacture. Visit to find organically and sustainably produced fabrics made under fair trade conditions.